Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Treadmill (and overall gym) etiquette...seriously, we need to discuss

Two days in a row now I have had "issues" with people at the gym...yes, I understand that maybe it's me and not them (but in all likelihood, its them!).

I am the first to admit that I get very competitive running on the treadmill, when someone gets on next to me and starts running faster than me, I speed up (duh, who wouldn't)...this has caused me to fall off the back of the treadmill only twice (my legs apparently don't work as fast as a 6'2" guy or a long legged 5'11" girl, oh well I kept up with them both for a little while).

Anyways so yesterday the guy next to me kept looking at my elapsed time on my treadmill, he would walk and then look at my time, then run again...then walk again, then look at mine and run again...and then yes he asked me, "how long are you going to run for?"...ummmm do you not see the headphones on!! Those headphones mean I don't want to talk to you...seriously!? I pretended not to hear him and stayed focused on running (I did almost trip trying to focus too hard)...then he did the unthinkable, he tapped me on the shoulder...I again ignored and then finally just turned around quickly and asked "how long are you walking for?"...he got off the treadmill and left. I mean c'mon seriously?!

Ok now this morning, different gym location (overall same issue)...the girl next to me on the treadmill was doing sprints (but not the kind that give you a workout)...she was going from walk to sprint for 10 seconds and repeated this about 5x then walked next to me singing out loud, with her headphones on...the girl was no Britney Spears and that is saying something, cause Britney ain't that good. But seriously?! It's 6AM and I don't want to hear you sing...so next time think about the 30 other people next to you before you a) short circuit your treadmill from the jerky thing you call running and b) before you decide to be a contestant on American Idol.

So let's review etiquette at the gym...cause I know I am not the only person who has these thoughts...
1. Do not bother people who are wearing headphones. (they don't want to talk to you if you have headphones on...leave them alone)
2. Don't set up your mat right next to someone else doing sit-ups or stretching. (people don't like being close to one another when they are sweaty and smelly...or at least I don't)
3. Ask before you assume that someone is no longer using a machine or a mat, or the freakin water fountain for that matter.
4. Don't leave sweat on the machines. (GROSS!)
5. Don't wear jeans to workout. (pet peeve of mine, and you all know I love jeans and a t-shirt, but not at the gym!)

and lastly

6. NO CELL PHONES. not in the locker room, not on the treadmill...I mean, seriously!

4 comments:

  1. Other than the cell phone thing, which really is annoying and rude, I hate when people bring coffee to the gym. If you're drinking coffee you aren't working out. Don't lollygag on the eliptical sipping your latte - that's wasting your time and the machine's time. Go home.

    Oh...and people who work out with their hair down. You aren't a serious person if you do that - again, go home. There's one lady at my gym who has hair down to her butt and works out with it down - makes me want to vomit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, this is what happens when you pay $39 a month for some girly gym. Women in pink leotards acting like retards...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man -- I might have to write a post on gym etiquette tonight, I have a ton of these. But, without people breaking the etiquette we'd all have way less good people watching while we're getting our workout in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hup...I totally want your list!! I agree about the people watching...gotta have wacky people to keep things interesting, but seriously :-)

    lol

    ReplyDelete